Monday, November 6

A ple... what now?

Encountered a new situation today... the complete opposite of my last problem... I ran out of lesson! Yup - things went so well that I actually fell short.

It was in a numeracy lesson, the supply (my class teacher was out on a course for the day) who was a teacher at the school until last year (when she retired) had warmed them up for me, and kept them firmly and successfully in line. I had them up and about doing some "body maths" on sequences and suddenly realised that I was rapidly running out of lesson. So I extended the lesson to also explore some basic properties of numbers, in terms of odd/even numbers. Still falling short of lunch time, I, frankly, panicked.

I ended up playing a game of "buzz/beep"* with them and spent so long on that, that I then lost track of time and forgot to have a plenary!

I am assured that this is not the last time that something like this (or indeed, like Friday's ICT fiasco) will happen to me. In fact MB assures me that it not only will happen, but it still happens to her, too... and that is some consolation, because she is a truly inspiring teacher for me to be training with.

* Which, for the less "up" on modern classroom games is a way of testing times tables at the same time as practicing listening skills... two times tables are specified, the play starts with a pupil calling "one" and then moving around the class the sequence extended. Each time the number would be a multiple of either of the two nominated tables, the child must say "buzz" or "beep" (or "buzz beep" if the number falls into both camps).

No comments: