Sunday, February 11

Book Review - How Children Think and Learn

Gaaaaagh! Have finally (all but) waded through one of the hardest books I've ever had to read. Wood's How Children Think and Learn was the driest, most densely written texts I've ever had the misfortune to wade through. It was on our "recommended reading" list so I figured I'd give it a go... after the first chapter or so it became a matter of pride that I would finish the damn book! I'm glad I did, as it not only produced that wonderful quote about tribes in Papua New Guinea having a base 27 counting system but finally had some useful information (in the final chapter, wouldn't you just know it) for my assignment. But... at the risk of repeating myself... gaaaaagh!

I was eventually reading it section by section (no more than a few pages at a time) of an evening as I sat outside Ted's room while he settled. The last time I had to work so hard to read a book was for my OU studies (and that was Wide Sargasso Sea, if you're interested in knowing another book that I'd thoroughly recommend you avoid if don't absolutely have to read it).

Still - I did finish, and it did contain some useful information. *phew*

No comments: