Friday, February 9

Progress

Today was a definite milestone.

I'd asked my class teacher to assist in a particular part of the lesson as I'd had to miss a staff meeting the other week where our head (a literacy consultant in his previous life) was demonstrating a particular technique for getting children to think about what they're writing (he has them wear one of two hats - a "reader" and a "writer" hat - according to what they're currently doing, and then gradually gets them to merge the roles until the children become aware that they need to wear both hats at the same time, really, as they work).

Although my class teacher had tried to explain it through for me, I wasn't sure enough to stand up and try and teach it.

But, for the first time that I can remember, as I was watching them teach I realised I was also evaluating it and thinking how I'd have built on that, done it differently, and generally made it in some small, way, "mine". It's kind'f a nice feeling, to be aware that I'm starting to evaluate other teachers in that way and not just "soaking up" the experience.

*grin* A good day.

No comments: